Wednesday, July 21, 2010

5 Most Meaningful Music Videos

As the title of this post obviously states, below are 5 videos that are very meaningful to me. They get me deep down, inspire me, and challenge me. I love music videos, and think they are a spectacular form of art that lets filmmakers express their ideas much the same way as a short film, but without the need for any messy dialog, sound effects, or even plot (at times). This isn't a comprehensive list by any means, nor will it stand the test of time, but these videos are the ones I could come up with now, and they are very very good. If you have any others to share, proclaim them in the comments below.

5. Stars: "Fixed"


This song is gripping and powerful, and even though the music video is only shots of the band interspersed with frantic, nearly imploding footage of graveyards and other depressing architecture, it is very well-done, and an impressive effort.


4. City and Colour: "The Girl"


This video seems to encompass all the emotion that the song is trying to convey, and does it quite admirably. And while watching people playing instruments doesn't normally make a good video for me, I appreciate the departure from the norm with the video's structure and methodology.


3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs: "Maps"


Seriously, this isn't typical. My favorite style of music video is narrative, but already three videos on this list have been principally performance-based. However, when it's as well thought out and executed as "Maps" is, videos like this can be fantastic. I mean, look at this video. It's magical.


2. Angels & Airwaves: "The Gift"


Now this my typical style of video. I love the story here, and combined with the song it makes for a simply transcendent experience. Somewhat bashfully, I'll admit that I think there's something hopelessly romantic about a girl saving a guy from certain imprisonment, death, or something worse. I think that's all encapsulated here.


1. Funeral for a Friend: "Into Oblivion"


Well, just to defy my own convention one final time, it turns out that my favorite, most personally moving music video is one with nearly only performance footage. I love the parallel between the emotional journey of a sailor and the storm he is sailing through, as well as the arresting way that the contained environment of the screen takes over the entire set, plunging the viewer in the midst of both the story and the storyteller's mind.


And now, to round out the experience, watch something less meaningful, but certainly not less epic. I give you Shrimp on a Treadmill.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, although I traditionally don't care much for music videos, the #1 one was my favourite also. Oh, that and the shrimp one, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I did watch all six videos!

    ReplyDelete